There are about 1.2 million types of flies all over the world. Those species might irritate you and bring several bacteria that can cause disease. In fact, a house fly can bring a lot of bacteria through its activities such as placing on foods, garbage, and the materials.
If you eat the foods that contain bacteria, you will have a higher risk of getting diarrhea, cholera, typhoid, etc.
As the result, keeping the house clean, dry, and fresh is a very important thing to reduce the flies in the house as well as prevent the disease you might get.
In this article, we will show you top 13 tips on how to get rid of flies in your house naturally and hope that you are satisfied with the solutions.
Use Flypaper Strips
Flypaper is also known as the fly ribbons, which is made of paper containing a fragrant substance and it can help you catch the flies or insects effectively.
However, the poisonous substance can produce toxins and it can affect the animals and humans, so you can make a fly paper by yourself at home, just with the natural ingredients.
How to make your own fly paper? Try with this:
- You need to have ¼ cup of corn syrup, ½ cup of sugar, a brown paper or a thin card, a thread, and the scissors.
- Firstly, you cut the card or the paper 2 inch wide strips.
- Then you punch at the top of the strip and thread for a loop to hang the paper.
- Now you combine sugar and the syrup together.
- You coat the syrup on each strip and put a bowl under the paper hang on.
- Now you hand the strips where the flies usually visit.
- The paper is attracted because of the syrup and the sugar and flies will get stuck with this flypaper.
Use Water Bags
This is one of the best tips on how to get rid of flies in your house. Actually, many people apply this method and they are very effective to stay away from flies.
You just need to have a plastic bag and fulfill with water. Hand the bad at the entrances of the flies and they will not come to your house if seeing the image in the bag.
Why will the flies go far away from your house if they see the bag? The reason is that the water bad reflects as a spider’s web and they do not want to come near such a thing.
Another reason is that the water reflects the fly images and makes some illusion to the flies and they do not come near. Here is the way to make a water bag at home:
- You prepare a clear plastic bag and enough water to put it in.
- Now you fill the bag with the water and tie the bag with a knot to secure.
- You can sue a rubber band or a thread to tie it.
- Now you hang the plastic bag near the entrances, outdoor entrances, and the garage doors.
- That is very simple but effective for reducing the flies in your house.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a beneficial ingredient for decreasing the insects and flies in the house. Flies cannot resist the smell of the vinegar and you can follow the treatment as this direction:
- You will need ½ cup of apple cider vinegar, a glass jar, and a paper or a funnel.
- Now you heat the vinegar in a microwave or in a pan, the oven.
- Prepare a lidded jar and you can make some holes on the lid. It is big enough to encourage the flies enter.
- You also use a funnel instead of using the lid. Simply, you fold and staple a cone shape to make a funnel.
- Next, you fill the jar with the apple cider vinegar heated and put the lid over the jar.
- If you use the funnel, you should put it on the top of the jar and put the jar where the flies come most.
- Leave it and check the jar at the end of the day. The apple cider vinegar smell is attracted and through the holes, flies will come to the jar and you will catch them easily.
Lavender oil is an excellent natural oil to protect the clothes from insects and flies. Actually, lavender oil can be used to treat mosquito bites and the insect bites. This is a great essential oil that can manage the infestation of flies.
How to get rid of flies at home with lavender oil? Here is the instruction:
- You will need a cup of lavender oil, a can, and a cloth.
- Firstly, you dip that cloth in the oil and put it in the can, place it on the lid and leave it for two days.
- After that, you take out the lid and keep the tin at the region that flies usually come.
- You also can use peppermint oil, pennyroyal oil, eucalyptus oil, and citronella oil instead of using lavender oil.
Cloves are healthy spices in the world and they are available yearly. This ingredient has the aromatic, sweet, and warm taste that can be used to make in many delicious recipes such as soups, broths, stuffing recipes, etc.
To repel house flies, cloves are effective home remedies for the target and it can be combined with lemon to get a better effect. Here is the solution for flies in house:
- You prepare 20 cloves and some lemons.
- Now you cut the lemons and poke the cloves in the lemon.
- Arrange the cloves on the plate and you can wrap the cloves in the bag or in the cheesecloth.
This is one of the most effective remedies for flies and it can keep them away from your house. Flies hate lemongrass sprays such as oils, plants, and lavender oil. The steps to make spray are:
- You need some drops of essential oil, ½ cup of hot water, and a spray bottle.
- You pour the essential oil into he bottle and pour the water in the oil.
- Shake the mixture well and spray along the windows, the door where flies often enter.
- You can spray on the flies directly to keep them out of your house.
You should use wine to eliminate flies in your house and you can do it as the following instruction:
- You prepare a cup of wine and put in the places that flies enter.
- You also can pour some wine in the dishes and pour the dish with some soap.
- Put the bowl where flies enter.
- Also, you might put the wine bottle near the areas where flies fly. You can wrap the mouth of the bottle to cover it.
- You can poke the holes on the wrap to encourage flies to come into the bottle.
Basil And Herbal Plants
Basil is a great ingredient to kill off the flies. The reason is that flies do not like a fragrance of basil and some herbal plants such as mint, lavender, tansy, etc.
Basil not only helps you get rid of flies, but it also help keep fresh environment. Generally, you can grow herbal plants around the house to get rid of flies.
Several herbal plants you can grow near the windows and near the entrances of lies are basil, marigold, wormwood, rue, mint, tansy, bay leaf, lavender, and so on.
Clove oil is treated as the flies repellent and it is can be used to make skin lotion. You should not use the clove oil on the skin directly because it can cause burning, irritation. So you can follow this way to cancel flies in the house.
- You prepare some teaspoons of witch hazel or olive oil, a teaspoon of clove oil, and a bottle.
- You pour the oils into the bottle and shake it well.
- Apply the lotion on the body parts to keep flies away from you.
Another way to get rid of lies is to use sugar for eliminating of flies. Sugar is sweet and it is usually used in foods. Almost of insects and flies like sugar and you can take advantage of sugar to get rid of flies in your house. So the solution is:
- You need a ¼ liter of milk, ½ cup of sugar, and some tablespoons of ground black pepper.
- Now you pour the milk in a pan and add pepper, sugar in the milk.
- Simmer it for 10 minutes and pour the milk mixture into a dish.
- Put the dish around the house or the place where flies usually go.
Honey is a perfect ingredient for health, hair, and skin in humans. Many people usually use honey to prevent diseases and treat some conditions like cold, cough, and sore throat. Honey is sweet and it is attractive to almost of flies.
The fragrance of honey will make the flies escape and you can do it like this:
- You need a bottle or a can, some teaspoons of honey, some water, and some soap liquid.
- To make the trap, you cut the can or bottle in halves and fill the water in it.
- Put some drops of dish soap in the water and take the top of the can to put in the place over the filled water.
- Now you smear the honey jam near the regions that flies visit to.
Eucalyptus oil is also a good repellent and it has a strong smell that flies hate. The oil is safe for human and you can take advantage of eucalyptus oil to get rid of flies effectively and naturally. How to get rid of flies with eucalyptus oil? Here is the solution you might try it now:
- You need some eucalyptus oil and some cloth strips, or ribbons.
- Now you pour the oil onto the cloth strips and put them on the windows or doors.
- Pregnant women should not use eucalyptus oil.
Camphor is a substance that has a strong smell, and almost insects or flies are afraid of this ingredient. Camphor is usually used in India as it has strong antiviral, antibacterial, and insect properties that can get rid of flies very well:
- You need to have some tablets of camphor and put on the warm surface. Or you can put camphor tablets on a plate and heat it.
- Add some water, the best is hot water in a plate or a bowl.
- Put the camphor tablets in the water and keep it near the areas that flies come.
- Warning: pregnant women should not use camphor.
After reading the article about top 13 tips on how to get rid of flies, I hope that you have got some useful information to eliminate flies in your house naturally and permanently. If you have any problem, please leave your comments below.