Plastic Surgery Statistics 2018; Plastic surgery is a special form of surgery which entails the adjustment, restoration or reconstruction of the body. It is divided into 2 classes. The first is a surgical process which incorporates craniofacial surgery, microsurgery, hand surgery, and also the treatment of burns.
The other is known as aesthetic or cosmetic surgery. While surgical process targets to reconstruct a section of the body or boost its functionality, cosmetic surgery targets at boosting the looks of it. Each of these techniques are utilized throughout the globe.
Recent data discharged by ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) indicates continuing improvement in cosmetic procedures over the last year. In line with the yearly cosmetic surgery statistical process, there have been in existence 17.5 million surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures conducted within the U.S.
In 2018, a 2percent increment over 2016. The statistics also indicate that Americans are turning to new and creative ways to form their bodies, as minimally invasive cosmetic processes have inflated nearly 200th since 2000.
The recent market developments have given rise to a ‘see-through’ approach so as to prevent the slippery slope produced by the dynamic paradigms ensuing from the powerful forces of economy, competition, business models, et al. “Market analysis future” shows its recent report titled “World plastic surgery Market –forecast until 2023” to assist eradicate the blur resulting from these developments and to hand over to the reader a transparent image of the possibilities and nuisances lying ahead!
Major 5 Cosmetic Surgical and Minimally-Invasive Processes
Minimally invasive cosmetic processes improved at a rather higher rate compared to surgical procedures in 2017. While three of the major-five surgical processes centered on the body, the highest minimally invasive processes centered on the face. Out of the nearly 1.8 million processes of cosmetic surgical undertaken in 2017, the biggest five were:
- Breast augmentation (300,378 procedures, up 3 percent from 2016)
- Eyelid surgery (209,571 processes, close to identical as 2016)
- Liposuction (246,354 processes, up 5 percent from 2016)
- Tummy tuck (129,753 processes, up 2 percent from 2016)
- Reshaping of the nose (218,924 processes, down 2 percent from 2016)
- Out of the nearly 15.7 million cosmetic minimally-invasive processes conducted in the year 2017, the 5 winners were:
- Microdermabrasion (740,287 processes, down 4 percent from 2016)
- Fillers of soft tissue (2.69 million processes, up 3 percent from 2016)
- Chemical Peel (1.37 million processes, up 1 percent since 2016)
- Toxic Botulinum group A (7.23 million processes, up 2 percent from 2016)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million processes, down 2 percent from 2016)
Return Story for Tummy Tucks
Tummy tucks, which fell from the highest five hottest cosmetic surgical processes in the year 2016, have recovered their method back to the highest five in 2017. There have been over 2,000 additional tummy tuck processes in 2017 than there have been in 2016. “A revamped abdominal contour is something that a lot of people strive for, except for some patients, that will not be possible via diet and exercise alone,” said Janis.
“Age, pregnancy and vital weight changes will create impact both on the skin and underlying muscle. Tummy tucks operated by a board-certified plastic surgeon take away excess fat and skin and, in major times, reawaken weakened or separated muscles to form an improved abdominal profile.”
The world’s cosmetic surgery market is divided on the premise of surgery type. Based on the type of surgery, the market has been divided as eyelid, liposuction, cosmetic implants, nose surgery, facial reconstruction, body contouring, et al. The body contouring section is more subdivided into breast lift, tummy tuck, others. Equally the cosmetic implants section is subdivided into breast augmentation, chin, buttock implants, and cheek implants.
Spike in Breast Depletion
After a 4 percent reduction in 2016, there was a dramatic increment in breast reduction surgeries in 2017, rising by 11 percent. Breast reduction, also referred to as reduction mammaplasty, is a process of getting rid of excess glandular tissue, breast fat, and skin to realize a breast size in line with your body.
“Reductions in the breast are continuously announced as one of the highest patient satisfaction processes because it positively creates effect on a woman’s quality of life. It solves both aesthetic and practical issues,” said ASPS President Jeffrey E. Janis, MD.
Key players of World’s Cosmetic Surgery Market
Key players characterized in the report of the world’s cosmetic surgery are; Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Allergan, Inc., Cutera, Inc., Syneron Medical Ltd., Genesis Biosystems, Inc., Johnson & Johnson and others.
Body Sculpting and Non-Invasive Fat Processes Boom
A greater number of individuals are choosing to form different parts of their bodies making use of vacuum massage, radio frequency, ultrasound, infrared radiation, and injectable medication to reduce fat cells. Non-invasive processes to remove fat and make the skin tight are cropping up with popularity, with the quickest growing process – cellulite treatments – up nearly 20percent over last year- 2017.
“Unwanted fat is something that psychologically affects numerous Americans,” said Janis. “Plastic surgeons are ready to offer patients additional choices than ever before for the distribution or elimination of fat. Patients acknowledge having choices, particularly if they can act as maintenance steps while they decide if obtaining something more extensive down the road will be correct for them.”
The present non-invasive fat reduction and skin adjustment processes still gain popularity:
- Non-invasive fat reduction processes that made use of special technology to “freeze” away fat without surgery multiplied by 7percent.
- Non-invasive skin adjustment processes that concentrate on fat and tighten sagging areas increased by 9percent.
- Non-surgical cellulite treatments that made use of lasers to remove fat multiplied by 19percent (up 55percent since 2000)
A Return Story for Tummy Tucks
In the year 2016, tummy tucks that fell from the high five famous cosmetic surgical processes have re-branded their style back into the top five in 2017. Over 2,000 additional tummy tuck procedures in 2017 were available than there were in 2016.
“A revamped abdominal contour is something that plenty of people work and desire for, except for some patients, that may not be achievable via diet and exercise alone,” said Janis. “Age, vital weight changes and pregnancy can be of impact to both the underlying muscle and the skin. Tummy tucks carried out by a board-certified plastic surgeon takes away excess fat and skin and, in most circumstances, repairs weakened or separated muscles to form a refined abdominal profile.”
- “Academy Papyrus to be Exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Art”. The New York Academy of Medicine. 2005-07-27. “Archived copy”. Archived from the original on 27 November 2010. Retrieved 12 August 2008… Retrieved 2008-08-12.
- Lock, Stephen etc. (200ĞďéĠĊ1). The Oxford Illustrated Companion to Medicine. USA: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-262950-6. (page 607)
- Shiffman, Melvin. Cosmetic Surgery: Art and Techniques. Springer. p. 20. ISBN978-3-642-21837-8.
- MSN Encarta (2008). Plastic Surgery Archived 22 September 2008 at the Way back Machine