Many people do not know it but every home is unique and has a unique smell. This smell can vary from a fresh aroma to a musty smell. The sad part is, you get used to this kind of smell and you cannot recognise it when you come home.
It can get a little bit embarrassing when you have guests coming over. Yes, they can recognise the smell even when you cannot.
Anyway, there is nothing better than coming home to a fresh-smelling place at the end of the day. However, sometimes your home might not smell the way you would like. What if I tell you that you can get rid of the noxious smells very easily?
Pick a lovely scent
Take your time to pick a scent you fancy. There are some people who pick their home scents based on what season it is.
You can keep this in mind when you are hunting for the right scent! Also, you can consider room appropriate aromas. For example, I am not a fan of bathrooms smelling like vanilla or strawberries, or bedrooms smelling like baked Christmas cookies.
How to make your own natural home fresheners?
The easiest way to freshen your home is to make dried citrus wheels. It is extremely easy! Slice some citrus fruits and bake them at a low temperature. The best part is that your home will smell great with minimum efforts.
- Get some fruits (of your choice), cut them and put them in a pot.
- Add herbs and spices to the pot. You can use thyme, mint, rosemary or any other aromatic herb.
- Add water (¾ full).
- Boil and then reduce to low.
When you have let the pot simmered enough, put the liquid into a jar and cool it. Many real estate agents advise to boil cinnamon sticks or cook something delicious to create a more welcoming aroma in your house.
Natural Home Scent Recipes
- One of the most favourite recipes for a home scent incorporates: rosemary (4 springs), a sliced lemon and vanilla extract (1 teaspoon).
- Sweet Mint: peppermint extract (1 teaspoon), vanilla extract (1 teaspoon) and sliced limes/lemons (2).
- Italian Backyard: basil (handful), black peppercorns (1 teaspoon), lemon (1).
- Orange Amaretto: almond extract (1 tablespoon), a sliced orange
- Gingerbread: almond extract (1 tablespoon), cinnamon sticks (2-3), slices of ginger (5 inch slices).
- Cordon Bleu: basil (handful), peppermint extract (1 tablespoon), a lemon
DIY Natural Home Scent Inspiration
You can create your own scents based on your taste.
- Fruits: citrus fruits, apples and cranberries
- Spices: anise, peppercorns, cinnamon and cloves
- Herbs: go for fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme or lemongrass
- Extracts: almond, peppermint, vanilla and maple
Cleaning and Airing Out Your Home
If you do want your house to smell nice and fresh, then you need to take proper care of it at all times. Do not forget to do the chores on a regular basis and you will be one step closer to having a home smelling fresh.
- Vacuum on a regular basis to get the carpets rid of grime and unpleasant smells.
- Make sure to open the windows quite often to let fresh air in (if the weather allows it, of course).
- Avoid wearing outdoor shoes inside.
- Avoid smoking inside.
- Book professional carpet cleaning services like at least twice a year.
- Take the trash out.
- If you have pets, make sure to empty the litter box often.